2 Airport Highway crashes kill 5; Three injured in accidents within hours of each other on busy road

By Joshua Benton and Mark Zaborney
Blade Staff Writers

Page 1

Five people were killed and three were injured last night in two accidents within three hours and about seven miles of one another on Airport Highway, authorities said.

Four of the dead and the three injured were involved in a two-car accident about 5:50 p.m. in the 7800 block of Airport near Gunn Road in Springfield Township.

And a woman was killed about 8:30 last night while crossing the 2700 block of Airport near Barclay Drive in South Toledo.

In the Airport-Gunn accident, Tyrone Scott, 27, the driver of one of the cars, and his passengers, Susan Scott, 52, his mother; Andrew Scott, 5, and Rachel Scott, 7, all of Toledo, were killed when a Cadillac crossed the highway’s center line and slammed head-on into their westbound car, according to troopers at the Ohio Highway Patrol’s Toledo post.

The Cadillac was driven by Theodore Williams, 56, of Ypsilanti, Mich., and was eastbound on Airport, the troopers said.

Tyrone and Andrew Scott were pronounced dead at the scene, troopers said.

Rachel Scott was transported to Medi cal College Hospital, where she died.

Susan Scott was transported to St. Luke’s Hospital, where she died shortly after arrival.

Injured in the Scott vehicle were Julian Scott, 9, and Lisa Statton, 28, of Toledo. Authorities said Ms. Statton was Tyrone Scott’s girlfriend.

Julian Scott was admitted to Medical College Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition early today.

Conditions were not available early today for Ms. Statton or Mr. Williams. They were being treated at St. Luke’s.

Rescue teams from Springfield and Sylvania townships and Maumee and Whitehouse assisted at the scene.

Troopers could not determine if anyone involved was wearing a seat belt.

The investigation is continuing.

At Airport and Barclay, Hermina Zaborowski, of 617 Barclay, whose age was not available last night, was struck by a westbound van as she crossed Airport from the south side of the street to the north, police said.

She was flown to Medical College Hospital, where she was pronounced dead a short time later, a hospital spokesman said.

Police are continuing their investigation.