Monday, August 13, 2001
$1.5 billion is a lotta loot for most folks
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has put a tentative price tag on his dream stadium complex: up to $1.5 billion. What else would that amount buy?
– Three current sports champions – the Baltimore Ravens, New York Yankees and Los Angeles Lakers – with enough left to pay Rangers shortstop Alex Rodriguez for a year.
– An end to traffic: 287 bus rides for each of the 5.2 million people in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
– Four years at a Texas state university for 101,000 children.
– Every house on Mockingbird Lane in Highland Park – 20 times over.
– Twenty Santiago Calatrava-designed bridges over the Trinity River.
– Roughly all the facilities improvements needed in Dallas schools.
– 292,000 face-lifts.
— Joshua Benton